[複製鏈接]
發表於 2013-10-17 12:58:30 | 顯示全部樓層

講漏咗MSB. 不過丶可以打抵dcs, wadia,metronome 或 soulution 其中一件經已係厲害非常
回復

使用道具 舉報

發表於 2013-10-17 12:59:53 | 顯示全部樓層
racewong 發表於 2013-10-17 11:23
問得好,  我對這方面真係唔係太熟識, 等我幫你問下先!

其實佢地d機由第一代至到而加都係24/192,不過第一代d機好多人都不喜歡它太過師文,不過384未必一定贏得到192,除左你要玩CAS.
回復

使用道具 舉報

樓主| 發表於 2013-10-17 13:45:39 | 顯示全部樓層
CKKeung 發表於 2013-10-17 12:58
I want to audition CH too!
(C1 + D1 of course).

我地一齊上大陸搵c7c家訪囉.

再唔係遲d睇下可唔可以借到部CH.返我屋企測試. 到時再約埋KING SIR, C7C上黎咪得囉.

評分

查看全部評分

回復

使用道具 舉報

發表於 2013-10-17 14:47:37 | 顯示全部樓層
本帖最後由 CKKeung 於 2013-10-17 16:15 編輯
pl96 發表於 2013-10-17 12:59
其實佢地d機由第一代至到而加都係24/192,不過第一代d機好多人都不喜歡它太過師文,不過384未必一定贏得到1 ...

pl96 hing and Gary hing,
小弟確信這Medus是好聲,和其他32/384dac 比也不會輸。

但Weiss身為pcm and dsd 的studio 軟硬件的專家,冇理由三代的旗艦dac都同是 24/192 ga wor!
冇理由造唔出一部更靚的32/384 dac嘅!

况且就file 而言,pcm 32/384的確比24/192好。同一音樂,dsd128 亦比dsd64密度高得多。

Weiss 其實要和自己比,大步向前才對!
回復

使用道具 舉報

發表於 2013-10-17 14:54:54 | 顯示全部樓層
good report
回復

使用道具 舉報

發表於 2013-10-17 15:24:14 | 顯示全部樓層
CKKeung 發表於 2013-10-17 14:47
pl96 hing and Gary hing,
但Weiss身為pcm and ds ...

CKK hing,
小弟都覺得在而加幾個頂級機中,weiss真係要快馬加邊先得.
回復

使用道具 舉報

發表於 2013-10-17 16:49:14 | 顯示全部樓層
CKKeung 發表於 2013-10-17 14:47
pl96 hing and Gary hing,

CKKeung兄, 小弟多口問一句, 請見諒!

係唔係32/384一定會好聲過24/192呢。24/192可能係保守, 但可能是最成熟也最隠定。試問一間HIEND廠的旗艦機會唔會咁進取呢?
回復

使用道具 舉報

發表於 2013-10-17 17:15:28 | 顯示全部樓層
本帖最後由 CKKeung 於 2013-10-17 17:58 編輯
morel 發表於 2013-10-17 16:49
CKKeung兄, 小弟多口問一句, 請見諒!

係唔係32/384一定會好聲過24/192呢。24/192可能係保守, 但可能是最 ...

Morel hing,

要成熟要隠定,都唔駛三代的 旗艦dac 都同是 24/192。

好多HIEND廠的旗艦機都比 Medus 進取呢:dCS Vivaldi/MSB IV series/Invicta Mirus/Gryphon Kalliope/CH Precision C1...etc.  它們能夠support的 PCM/DSD resolution 都比 Medus高,論穩定好聲,也未必輸給 Weiss。

另一例子:Weiss 是有把它的 OP1-BP discrete opamp 供應給其他 hifi/CAS brands的。
AudioNec 就是其一,它的SDV4 series 是 up to 384 的呢。 http://www.audionec.com/audionec-uk-SDV3.html

Weiss 其實要戰勝自己,大步向前進步才對!
Digital 科技進化神速,就如逆水行舟,不進則退!
回復

使用道具 舉報

發表於 2013-10-17 19:06:56 | 顯示全部樓層
CKKeung 發表於 2013-10-17 17:15
Morel hing,

要成熟要隠定,都唔駛三代的 旗艦dac 都同是 24/192。

咁32/384係唔係一定好聲過24/192?
回復

使用道具 舉報

發表於 2013-10-17 19:57:36 | 顯示全部樓層
morel 發表於 2013-10-17 19:06
咁32/384係唔係一定好聲過24/192?

morel hing,
耳聽為實,不如你上2L website download啲free samples, 比較一下唔同的PCM and DSD resolution 的分别啦。
回復

使用道具 舉報

發表於 2013-10-18 07:46:20 | 顯示全部樓層
I agree totally with CK Keung.
Daniel Weiss is one of the few who openly stated several years ago that 24/96 is good enough. I have his white paper on this proclamation.
Going to 24/192 is already slapping himself on the face and to 24/384 is a bigger slap.
I have heard Weiss products in demos by Kent Poon a couple of times and the sound to me (and to Dr John separately and independently) is merely so so. If I were a prospective buyer, I would have gone for M2Tech Vaughan, MSB etc. Weiss products, old and new, are unable to play DSD 2.8 and 5.6 MHz and DXD 24/352.8 and 384 files. These high res files sound better than the ones that Weiss products are able to process.
Anyone who does not agree with what I said may ask and bring his gear to Ben Lau's place for direct comparison. I mention Ben Lau because Kent Poon does not even allow someone bringing his portable computer to his showroom (thus not even disturbing any of his setup) for the purpose of finding out whether it was the tracks he used that produced mediocre sound.
If Ben Lau does not want to offend his peers in audio selling and retailing, I am happy to stage the comparison in Ben's place if he agrees to lend it out for such purpose.

評分

查看全部評分

回復

使用道具 舉報

發表於 2013-10-18 08:42:32 | 顯示全部樓層
momei 發表於 2013-10-18 07:46
I agree totally with CK Keung.
Daniel Weiss is one of the few who openly stated several years ago th ...

momei hing,

WoW, you have very strong view against Weiss wor.  

Please don't "put Ben on table".  This will embarrass both Kent & Ben a lot.  

I have to clarify my view :
IMHO, As CDT+DAC, the Jason mk2+Medus combo gives excellent sonic performance and according to racewong, this may be amongst the best 4-5 such combos in market and the price is the most reasonable one.

I discontent only about Weiss not to incorporate 32/384 & DSD128 capabilities in the new Medea.
Weiss should possess the expertise to do so.  They are just too conservative.

評分

查看全部評分

回復

使用道具 舉報

發表於 2013-10-18 09:55:12 | 顯示全部樓層
Hi CK Keung 兄,
I know it is a taboo in Hong Kong to say anything bad about an audio product particularly for those involved in or connected with the trade. One will see only good points about a product in reviews and how it improves upon a previous model, but never how it compares with competing products in the market.
I am a lone wolf and do not seek any 著數 from any importer (borrow their gear or buy cheap from them and write a good review in return).  Therefore I am able to say freely what I think.
I say good things about products when they are due, for example, the bass performance of Daniel Hertz speakers, the Modi Kong gear etc. And also the 北極鷗DDC and 小胖power supply plus Y USB cord.
The trouble in Hong Kong for a prospective buyer of audio gear is that he is unable to compare properly different products. He has to rely on reviews in local magazines or forums where unfortunately some writers are “bought” by importers to say good points about a product.
I mention Ben Lau’s place because I understand many people bring gears there for listening comparison (no reports to benefit others) whilst you seem to be the one who brought 4 cables there for comparison and wrote a report.
I have no particular antipathy against Weiss products. In years back they were practically the “choice” but now I am not convinced they are worth the price in terms of sonic performance as there are many other choices in the market.
I wrote the post here so as to alert readers.  

評分

查看全部評分

回復

使用道具 舉報

發表於 2013-10-18 10:38:45 | 顯示全部樓層
momei 發表於 2013-10-18 09:55
Hi CK Keung 兄,
I know it is a taboo in Hong Kong to say anything bad about an audio product partic ...

momei hing,
I don't fully agree with your view.
IMHO, You and me have no business relationship with hifi industry but our comments and posts have to be a bit considerate.
Creating unnecessary conflict between third parties are to be avoided.

評分

查看全部評分

回復

使用道具 舉報

發表於 2013-10-19 03:58:51 | 顯示全部樓層
本帖最後由 kentpoon 於 2013-10-19 04:29 編輯

Hello all,

It is 3:42am in Taiwan and I just got here from Japan.
Thank you so much Racewong and Hiendy.com for reporting Weiss products and everyone who provided valuable comments.  Maybe I try to give some comments.

> Medus這全新model和Medea+的主要分別只是 加display screen、better software 及加強和改善了屏閉的psu,則似乎是有點兒不夠進取了

Retail price of Medus is the same as Medea+.
If one have ever owned a Medea+, one will understand adding the cost for optional items such as DSD option, front panel, remote control are more expansive than what current Medus costs. From business point, this means we provide something better at the same price. This also give us room to lower Medea+ pricing.

From technical point Medus allows its OP1-BP to run as preamp, that shorten the signal path and provide better transparency. I like using Medus at home driving a pair of active loudspeakers. To me this sounds so much better and ideal.

> Medus 仍然只用一粒ESS9018,但其他brands 已開始在top models用 多粒9018行parallel mode 以改善音效。

I hope to maintain this conversation in technical perspective. Maybe one day Weiss will come up with a DAC with more than one 9018, but that will not means it is better than 1pc inside Medus. I thought this is a comment knowledge that a china made cheap DAC is using the same DAC chipset as Soulution but they are "different", right?
There are china made double ESS9018, and I guess some of its owners do think it is better than "ALL" DACs using just "one piece of ESS9018"?  

> ESS9018其實是可以達到32/384的,但為甚麽 Medus 仍只是24/192呢?

Original Medea (made in 1999) is potentially capable to support up to 384kHz with Quad AES.
Medus (made in 2013) does not support 32/384 is because Weiss is an engineering company, but not a "marketing" company. I will try to illustrating more later on if possible.

> 須知近期 high resolution PCM 已是個大趨勢。 是否Weiss認為ESS9018 play 24/192 是最好聲,所以放棄更高的 resolution 呢?

Digital audio has been available for about 30 years. For practical and technical reasons we have quite good understanding it.
"近期 what is really 大趨勢" depends on what actually benefit the audio quality but not digital format. *I believe* Weiss can playback 768kHz as good as 192kHz, but there is no reason why one would want to do it. Every two years the digital format changes to something new, I don't know who would like to replacing their $160K DAC every 24 months. From last 13 years of Weiss consumer and 30 years of professional audio history, I think it is very clear that Weiss provides upgrade path when the time is suitable or needed for such upgrade.

It is funny as you can *ALSO* view my comments as Weiss doesn't do it because it can't.
It is free of choice to one believe.  

> 假如 Medus只能支持到24/192,玩 DoP DSD file playback 的時候,能否 support DSD128 呢?

Medus currently can support DSD64, it cannot support DSD128.  
MAN301 can playback DSD128. We have custom buying Jason as CD transport, MAN301+Integrita for file playback, Medus as DAC. This 4 boxes combo support almost all formats for now and future.

> 希望 Weiss 的 Asia partner - AsiaWeiss 能給 hiendy brothers 及小弟解答一吓好嗎?  謝謝!

Thank you so much for providing a chance for us to comment.

> 要成熟要隠定,都唔駛三代的 旗艦dac 都同是 24/192。

If I understand this comment correctly, 旗艦dac means "superior" and "superior" means playback above 192kHz is needed to benefit on audio playback. I'm not Daniel, but this is not Weiss philosophy. And this is not true to my understanding too.  

> 好多HIEND廠的旗艦機都比 Medus 進取呢:它們能夠support的 PCM/DSD resolution 都比 Medus高,論穩定好聲,也未必輸給 Weiss。

I'm sure other manufacturers have their own mindset and feature to target their own customers. I have very high respects on all brands in the market. But pretending DSD128 is better than 24/96 is the same situation that one think recording DSD, then processing using analogue gears through extra stage AD/DA gives less "problem" than PCM. Supporting DSD256, DSD512, PCM384kHz, PCM768kHz as playback format is not what Weiss would like to do.

> 另一例子:Weiss 是有把它的 OP1-BP discrete opamp 供應給其他 hifi/CAS brands的。
> AudioNec 就是其一,它的SDV4 series 是 up to 384 的呢。

If I remember correctly, AudioNec does NOT using OP1-BP, but an INT202 interface. It has a DAC version which uses Weiss DAC2 as D to A conversion.  

> Weiss 其實要戰勝自己,大步向前進步才對!
> Digital 科技進化神速,就如逆水行舟,不進則退!

I agree, for this I am very looking forward for MAN301 room acoustic correction and measurement software available. Improvements have been made on NEW INT204, DAC202DSD, MAN301, Medea+DSD and Medus.

> Daniel Weiss is one of the few who openly stated several years ago that 24/96 is good enough. I have his white paper on this proclamation.

Daniel actually thinks 16bit is enough for a playback format.
24bit is good for extra headroom in processing. 96kHz is more than enough definitely for human listening.

> Going to 24/192 is already slapping himself on the face and to 24/384 is a bigger slap.

i don't understand why makes such a strong statement that going 24/192 or even 24/384 is a slap in anyone face? humm..In professional audio field above 24bit/96kHz is not benefit on audio quality, but it maybe needed when ultra-high frequency information is valuable such as measurements and recording dolphin singing.

> Weiss products, old and new, are unable to play DSD 2.8 and 5.6 MHz and DXD 24/352.8 and 384 files.

INT204, DAC202DSD, Medea+DSD, and Medus are supporting DSD2.8.
MAN301 supports DSD2.8 and DSD5.6.

> Anyone who does not agree with what I said may ask and bring his gear to Ben Lau's place for direct comparison.
> I mention Ben Lau because Kent Poon does not even allow someone bringing his portable computer to his showroom (thus not even disturbing any of his setup)

We have many customers brought their computers to audition with our products. We also consult CAS settings, check up, custom installation for many of them. I don't understand this statement.  I met Ben Lau during CES2009 (??).  A nice gentleman, I wish him all the best and congratulate him continuous developing good audio journey.  But I don't understand what brought him to Weiss audition environment or setting? Maybe I mis-understanding something here?

> I discontent only about Weiss not to incorporate 32/384 & DSD128 capabilities in the new Medea.

Weiss not to incorporate 32/384kHz on because there is no such playback format. AES/EBU or S/PDIF are digital transfer "standards". They are capable to transfer up to 24bit/192kHz. This means the max. signal of data transfer is -144dBFS. In professional post production environment, we always us 32bit floating point processing or double precision, this is very common. However when we finished our "post-production", signal is dithered or one would not care truncate to 24bit.  For conversion purpose. Weiss does has products supporting 32/384 or even 64/384 and DSD128. This Weiss product has been in the market for at least 13 years and are using by George Massenburg, Bob Katz, 2L, USA SACD Center etc. Maybe 70% SACD you listen today is made by a Weiss during mastering stage.

Of course when one manufacturer states its DAC supports 64bit DAC as selling point, but the AES/EBU cut off anything below 24bit. This is up to audiophile decide if this particular 64bit DAC is benefit or not.

> The trouble in Hong Kong for a prospective buyer of audio gear is that he is unable to compare properly different products.

I agree, for that we provide home audition service. Maybe you do not know since we don't highly advertise on magazine or "bought" any reviewer?

Thanks again for the opportunity to comment and interest on our products.

If people want to have a flagship CD playback system, I have no idea why 768kHz or DSD512 are related. CD is 16bit/44.1kHz.
If people want to know if "Medus" is good or bad, or simply understand more deeply its function. The only way is to setup an audition. Good or bad sound has nothing to do with 768kHz or DSD512.
If people think Medus is not good simply because it does not support 768kHz or DSD512, I have no comment and simply respect his/her view.

I am sure we are listening to what customer wants. (e.g. using OP1-BP as direct preamp upto +27dBu (max. 17volt) analogue output)
I think one reason why Daniel and his team has been respected in the engineering and professional audio industry because he stands his feet on engineering ground, but not driven by wanting *JUST* to sell few more Medus.

Thank you again and if any question online of offline are welcome. I think everyone has my email, facebook or contact info. Tomorrow (today) we will run an listening event with Taiwan MyHiEnd, and I look forward to setup one in HK.

評分

查看全部評分

回復

使用道具 舉報

發表於 2013-10-19 07:01:27 | 顯示全部樓層
本帖最後由 CKKeung 於 2013-10-19 07:02 編輯
kentpoon 發表於 2013-10-19 03:58
Hello all,

Hi Kent,

Thanks very much for your detailed reply and sorry for keeping you awake at such early morning hours.  

You have stated very clearly the standpoints of Mr. Daniel Weiss and yours.
I respect them and won't argue too much because it's the Weiss policy although I do not agree with them completely.

Anyway, I myself do think that as an CD-playing combo, JasonII+Medus is excellent with very good C/P ratio.

However, as an isolated DAC in a rapidly evolving/advancing CAS/FAS era, Medus being incapable to play DSD128 or higher resolution PCM can be a deterring factor for customers that are CAS audiophiles.

The reason why Antelope Zodiac Platinum is DSD256-capable may not be just a marketing gadget.  Antelope is preparing for the future.  That Gryphon Kalliope uses two ESS9018 chips may have genuine performance improvement too.  If they can make a dac with such ability/configuration and without any sonic compromise, why not?  And if they can, I am sure Weiss can do so too.

I guess I am not the only audiophile that would like Weiss to be a bit more aggressive.  My advice is sincere.  Please convey this view to Daniel, maybe just as a feedback from CAS audiophiles.  Many thanks!

評分

查看全部評分

回復

使用道具 舉報

發表於 2013-10-19 09:51:04 | 顯示全部樓層
Thanks CKKeung, I agree with you points, especially we have a business in front of us. I am sure a lot (maybe most) "audiophiles" would like to see Weiss showing up a 768kHz PCM and DSD512 DAC or even higher.

I only wish to raise that Weiss Medus (or other Weiss devices) does not offer such features, is not related to aggressiveness. It is simply because Weiss does not feel these are "features" for better audio quality.

There are many areas of audio improvement that cannot be seen by sight, especially in digital era. For example the filter algorithms, internal DSP wordlength calculation, or even more important with the I/V conversion and analogue output stage.

If anyone would like know more info of OP1-BP:
http://www.weiss-highend.ch/op-a ... heet_bipolar_r1.pdf

If you happen to be at the AES in NY don't miss the talk about Crosstalk Cancellation by Edgar Choueiri, Friday 5pm to 6:30pm, Room 1E09!
http://www.aes.org/events/135/tutorials/?ID=3682

If you happen to be in Taiwan, feel free to meet up with me.
http://www.my-hiend.com/vbb/show ... 心-Medus-示範會

IMG_0133.jpg

評分

查看全部評分

回復

使用道具 舉報

發表於 2013-10-19 09:51:13 | 顯示全部樓層
kentpoon 發表於 2013-10-19 03:58
Hello all,

First of all thanks racewong for the report on Weiss Medus.  As a user of Weiss Medea+ (upgraded to Medea + at Weiss Asia), upgrading to Weiss Medus is one of consideration to upgrade by system in the near future.

Maybe to someone Weiss is a bit conservative.  To me, they care about their existing customer.  Weiss insist to use the same casing for their top line(Medea, Medea+ and Medus) is because the upgrade for existing customer is one of their consideration.

Upgrading my Medea to Medea+ is a happy investment, it make a very significance improvement to my system.  The sonic quality improvement from Medea to Medea+ is not just a "+" but in fact Weiss could label it with a new casing and sell at a much higher price.

I personally like my Weiss Medea+ a lot, I like it not only because of the sound quality it provided but Weiss do cares about their existing customer.

Disclaimer:  I do not have any business relationship with Weiss, I am only a happy user.

評分

查看全部評分

回復

使用道具 舉報

發表於 2013-10-19 10:03:57 | 顯示全部樓層
精彩!學到唔少嘢,求聲不是求數字!24/192夠聽有凸!唔明仲追乜384?莫非hp/en值會高啲?打大嘢會快死啲?哈哈!

評分

查看全部評分

回復

使用道具 舉報

發表於 2013-10-19 10:24:44 | 顯示全部樓層
Marketing is unrelated to sound quality. Say, people want USB, you changed. They want DSD, you changed.
回復

使用道具 舉報

您需要登錄後才可以回帖 登錄 | 新用戶註冊

本版積分規則

Archiver|小黑屋|聯絡我們|刊登廣告|Hiendy.com 影音俱樂部 一個屬於音響愛好者的家

GMT+8, 2024-4-20 13:46 , Processed in 0.052281 second(s), 27 queries .