新用戶註冊
搜索
熱搜: hifi av 音樂
樓主: momei

[分享] Combat between CAS, LP and CD

[複製鏈接]
 樓主| 發表於 2015-1-8 18:34:19 | 顯示全部樓層
Audiophilelp 發表於 2015-1-8 17:34
I collected these recordings almost a decade ago. Anyway, I always listen a few tracks only!

Ah, you always have the better Japanese LPs. As for good sounding LPs I always buy an extra one for reserve because the workhorse deteriorates after every play.
3 tracks I like: Breathe, Money and Dark Side of the Moon. I am not sure if the third one is in the album or not (in storage, can't check off hand.
A DVD was issued in recent years. In it Roger Waters sang portions of Breathe with a Martin acoustic electric guitar, David Gilmore sang a small portion of Money with an acoustic guitar and the whole Dark Side as well. One does not realize Money has an unusual time signature (拍子)of 7 7/8。 (the famous Take Five is in 5/5). For Dark Side Gilmore explained he wrote the song with a grass lawn in Cambridge in mind. Without this background I was unable to understand the philosophy behind the lyrics.
回復

使用道具 舉報

樓主| 發表於 2015-1-8 18:37:23 | 顯示全部樓層
vincenthoy28 發表於 2015-1-8 17:53
Don't have dark side of the moon but I wish to get one!

Anyway, I still got some more record with ...

Hi Vincent,
It is available in EBay. Numerous versions at different prices.
回復

使用道具 舉報

發表於 2015-1-8 19:23:41 | 顯示全部樓層
momei 發表於 2015-1-7 17:58
Yes, Thomas, this is the album. I checked the 2L site just now because I bought the data file that ...

I have listened to Belafonte Matilda again, the hand clapping and sing along are not very 3 dimensional. I have tried to invert the phase, the whole sound moved a lot closer to me and the focus is enlarged, not natural at all.

As for 2L-50, it was remastered very much like an ordinary audio track using a near field recording. No surround effect is noticed. the focus for individual instruments is not very strong. I listen the same in 2014 HiFi show, it was much worse, in fact the disc is a failure. I have the complete set from 2004 to 2014, last year one is probably the worst of all.
回復

使用道具 舉報

發表於 2015-1-8 19:24:23 | 顯示全部樓層
momei 發表於 2015-1-8 18:37
Hi Vincent,
It is available in EBay. Numerous versions at different prices.

Yes, I did frequent hunting for good LP in eBay years ago, there are still many good stuff at that time. But I found that there are less good stuff at reasonable price now
回復

使用道具 舉報

樓主| 發表於 2015-1-8 20:15:01 | 顯示全部樓層
ThomasLi@FB 發表於 2015-1-8 19:23
I have listened to Belafonte Matilda again, the hand clapping and sing along are not very 3 dimens ...

Quite strange. The audience applause towards the end of the track is very live like and vivid in my system.

As for the 2L-050 album, I am able to detect the row of players in front of the speakers with their back facing me, though only occasionally during louder passages.

The 2L-090 has them more conspicuous. Morton Lindberg, the recording engineer and boss arranges the players in a special manner. Normally players of same instruments are grouped together, for example, AA, BB, CC. In this recording, he had them placed ABC, ABC. So the sound from individuals is more prominent.
Of course in the case of the Moscow soloists playing this piece in Nov 2014, they sat in the usual manner, in two rows all facing the audience.
For audio reproduction, I like the manner in the 2L album.
回復

使用道具 舉報

樓主| 發表於 2015-1-8 20:16:30 | 顯示全部樓層
Audiophilelp 發表於 2015-1-8 19:24
Yes, I did frequent hunting for good LP in eBay years ago, there are still many good stuff at that ...

Do you know Yan Yan in Hong Kong? You may like to make a web search there if you really want to get this album.
回復

使用道具 舉報

樓主| 發表於 2015-1-8 20:58:14 | 顯示全部樓層
ThomasLi@FB 發表於 2015-1-8 19:23
I have listened to Belafonte Matilda again, the hand clapping and sing along are not very 3 dimens ...

I checked the 2L catalogue just now. This album got the following awards:

AWARDS
Best Recording of the year 2008 Ultra Audio
Orchestral Disc of the Month Classic FM
Editor's Choice GRAMOPHONE Magazine

GRAMMY
Best Small Ensemble            Adresseavisen
Best Surround Sound Album Aftenposten
Best Engineered Album          Dagens Næringsliv

回復

使用道具 舉報

樓主| 發表於 2015-1-10 09:47:26 | 顯示全部樓層
Went to listen to Rachmaninov Piano Concerto 3 last evening, played by a young lad named Abduraimov. I was about the same distance from the Steinway as my seat to my speakers. Breathtaking indeed with the piano strings almost like breaking at numerous climaxes.
This piece was premiered in New York with Rach himself at the piano. One of the, if not the most difficult and demanding repertoire  for the pianist, thus being put aside for some time. Until Horowitz came along and popularized it. Just like the Kodaly cello solo piece that Starker made it well known.
Our compatriot 王羽佳 first made her name by playing this piece. She is about 5 ft 2 to 4 (my personal assessment) and her strength and finger span are severe limitations; so it is a marvel that she is able to play this piece well. I listened to her last year and she used her body to exert strength through her arms to the fingers. She is coming in mid June and in less than 10 days, few tickets remain. Ticket price for the first row seat last night in the same hall with the same HK Phil was HK$280 but that for her concert in June is HK$680.  This may well be the last time I will attend her concert because next time the price may well be 800 to 1K, just like that of郎朗 who is my “beyond the price” artist.  國語同胞 certainly don’t mind paying.
The concert grand piano sound in live comes mainly from the hammers striking the strings, clear and crisp with impact, in a concentrated pool with a lot of resonance of the strings, with reflection from the bottom of the piano body. So if a track is recorded correctly, the reproduction should be similar at home, with an image 3 feet wide at the plane of the speaker, extending 5 ft to the back towards the wall. I attended one demo with the piano notes spanning some 20 ft from side wall to side wall and recessed at the back. The demonstrator and audience all seemed happy, except me. Also one should be aware that the sound of an upright, played at home by a child or in neighbours’ flat is not the same as a concert grand because the upright uses the wooden enclosure to reinforce the sound, thus is very much heavier in mid bass. Most audio systems reproduce a piano track with too heavy mid bass. Up to now I find the 2L-049 album sounding truer to live than other tracks that I have, and I need to switch off the woofers.
回復

使用道具 舉報

樓主| 發表於 2015-2-6 22:29:51 | 顯示全部樓層
Went to watch HK Ballet dancing Turandot tonight at the grand theatre of Cultural Centre. Reproduction of the soundtrack was bad and I had to write in the survey to say that sound was distorted some 40% of the time that was irritating and impaired my enjoyment of the dancing.
Even the voice singing the famous nessun dorma which was basically midrange plus a little lower high was distorted at times.
I had the centre seat, 10th row, so nothing to do with acoustics and when I watched the Tibetan dances several months ago, the sound was good. This time it was most likely the fault of the HK Ballet using a bad sounding track.
回復

使用道具 舉報

樓主| 發表於 2015-2-28 16:04:24 | 顯示全部樓層
There was a thread/post talking about layout of players of an orchestra on stage during performance. I am unable to find it now. For convenience I place the photo of the Staatskapelle Dresden here that I went listening to last night marking the opening of the Arts Festival this year.
From the photo one is able to see the layout is unconventional. 8 double basses are on the left (often on the right); s the cellos and violas are in the centre (often the cellos are on the right with violas behind them); second violins are on the right (often on the left behind the first violins).
Staatskapelle Dresden.jpg
回復

使用道具 舉報

發表於 2015-2-28 20:22:52 | 顯示全部樓層
momei 發表於 2015-2-28 16:04
There was a thread/post talking about layout of players of an orchestra on stage during performance. ...

That's nothing to surprise about. Every conductor has his/her preference and can change the formation to fit his/her interpretation for a piece. Last year when Ivan Fischer and his Budapest Festival Orchestra came to Hong Kong and performed the same Bruckner's Symphony No. 9, he had his whole brass section at the center which is conventionally occupied by the second violins and violas.
回復

使用道具 舉報

樓主| 發表於 2015-2-28 20:47:32 | 顯示全部樓層
So Diamondblack, what do you think about the sound of this Staatskapelle Dresden?
I had a bad seat and I might be wrong. The strings were very nice when playing soft and melodic passages but sort of coarse and slightly breaking up when playing fff. The three trumpets were under par when blasting loud, sort of didn't reach the pitch with enough sustained air from the players' diaphragm.
回復

使用道具 舉報

發表於 2015-2-28 20:54:58 | 顯示全部樓層
momei 發表於 2015-2-28 16:04
There was a thread/post talking about layout of players of an orchestra on stage during performance. ...

mome 兄,
這是German seating 或者叫 European seating.
和美式seating 有點分別。
http://www.iet.ntnu.no/groups/ak ... kstadbook/meyer.pdf
seating.jpg
回復

使用道具 舉報

發表於 2015-3-1 00:01:13 | 顯示全部樓層
momei 發表於 2015-2-28 20:47
So Diamondblack, what do you think about the sound of this Staatskapelle Dresden?
I had a bad seat a ...

The opening concert was disappointing to be honest, at least for my ears.

But great redemption today!
回復

使用道具 舉報

樓主| 發表於 2015-3-1 06:34:57 | 顯示全部樓層
k500a 發表於 2015-2-28 20:54
mome 兄,
這是German seating 或者叫 European seating.
和美式seating 有點分別。

Thank you k500a. Let me check the Berlin Phil later.
St Martin in the Fields that came recently had the players sat in the "conventional" way, similar to the Hong Kong Philharmonic. Perhaps I had my usual seat. This orchestra lived up to its name, superb.
回復

使用道具 舉報

樓主| 發表於 2015-3-1 06:38:25 | 顯示全部樓層
diamondblack 發表於 2015-3-1 00:01
The opening concert was disappointing to be honest, at least for my ears.

But great redemption to ...

Diamondblack,
Oh I see. So I was not alone in having disappointment, and I was wondering why some people stood up to give ovation, for example, a lady several seats beside me.
回復

使用道具 舉報

發表於 2015-3-1 09:47:23 | 顯示全部樓層
momei 發表於 2015-3-1 06:38
Diamondblack,
Oh I see. So I was not alone in having disappointment, and I was wondering why some  ...

Last night hopefully was the true colors of Thielemann and Staatskapelle. Not sure when they arrived Hong Kong for the concerts, perhaps get tired the very tight traveling schedule. Hong Kong was the last station of their 10-day Asia Tour in several cities of UAE and Japan. Ein Heldenleben was breathtaking. Smooth, coherent and sonically rich. Concertmaster was excellent in the solo parts. The Prelude to Act 3 of Lohengrin encore was vibrant.
回復

使用道具 舉報

樓主| 發表於 2015-3-1 12:28:04 | 顯示全部樓層
本帖最後由 momei 於 2015-3-1 12:53 編輯

Diamondblack,
Good to know that the Staatskapelle Dresden saved its name in the second concert. To me European orchestras are normally good at string sound and weaker than American ones at brasses.
The sound of the opening concert was typical of the character manifested by old Quad electrostatic speakers: soft, delicate and silky but breaks up when pushed to play high and loud.
回復

使用道具 舉報

樓主| 發表於 2015-6-1 08:20:32 | 顯示全部樓層
(couldn’t upload until Hiendy has finished upgrading web)
Went to listen to the Borodin Quartet Friday evening in my usual
frontal seat. This was the second time I attended their concerts. They are superb, playing with intimacy and cohesion, having excellent intonation and a harmonized sound. I bought their CD in the foyer, a blue-moon purchase in many years because I only forked out money for high res. This Redbook disc has their 首本名曲, performed in the evening, Borodin Quartet No 2.
If an audiophile wants to depart for a while from large banging orchestral works, this string quartet piece as well as the Mendelssohn No 2 quartet comes in with refreshing melodies.
Or better still, go to their concert when they come again.
Also went to listen to the Mahler Chamber Orchestra in early May. This time the two concertos used a small Steinway, smaller than a baby grand but not an upright.
回復

使用道具 舉報

樓主| 發表於 2015-6-1 08:22:19 | 顯示全部樓層
本帖最後由 momei 於 2015-6-1 08:24 編輯

CD artwork
new doc 32_1.jpg
回復

使用道具 舉報

您需要登錄後才可以回帖 登錄 | 新用戶註冊

本版積分規則

Archiver|小黑屋|聯絡我們|刊登廣告|Hiendy.com 影音俱樂部 一個屬於音響愛好者的家

GMT+8, 2024-3-28 23:07 , Processed in 0.038094 second(s), 16 queries .