新用戶註冊
搜索
熱搜: hifi av 音樂
樓主: momei

[分享] Combat between CAS, LP and CD

[複製鏈接]
 樓主| 發表於 2015-1-8 08:43:01 | 顯示全部樓層
Audiophilelp 發表於 2015-1-7 21:45
Both LPs are less edgely and more relaxing compared to corresponding files from CDs, especially t ...

I just checked the DVD, so some corrections are in order.
The 5 Eagle members sat side by side on stage: from left to right were Schmidt, Henley, Frey, Walsh and Felder.
So Henley's voice should be on the left, not centre. He was put to the centre during mixing.
The sound of the floor drum was raised significantly during mastering. The pair of them, played by hand, were only about 10 to 12 inches in diameter and placed behind Schmidt, thus at far left. It was placed at the centre when making LP so as to make it trackable by the stylus.
Felder also used his fingers as did Walsh to play the guitar. Frey's guitar was a 12-string and he used a pick.
The audience uproar is on the left in the DVD (incorrect placement there).

I have noted Audiophilelp's comparisons between LP and CD in regard to the 2 tracks, Hotel California and Matilda. I think my CAS is able to rival the advantages the LPs have over the CDs that he mentioned. I will have these two tracks "processed" and they should be ready next month.

LP setup is extremely difficult to master and I believe I am only able to get it only halfway below optimum. That's why I switched over to CAS, basically skipping CD during its reign.

I wonder whether Audiophilelp has Sheffield's Drum Record and Thelma Houston direct disks as well as corresponding CDs. If so, his assessment of a round of comparison between the 2 formats would be very interesting.

回復

使用道具 舉報

樓主| 發表於 2015-1-8 08:45:27 | 顯示全部樓層
ackcheng 發表於 2015-1-7 23:03
Guys. Have a listern to the tracks from here
http://www.audiocheck.net/audiotests_ledr.php
You can e ...

Hi ACK,
Glad to see you here.
I have downloaded the 5 mp3 tracks. Will go through the tests when the sound from the audio system is not disturbing others.
回復

使用道具 舉報

樓主| 發表於 2015-1-8 09:35:43 | 顯示全部樓層
Audiophilelp 發表於 2015-1-7 21:45
Both LPs are less edgely and more relaxing compared to corresponding files from CDs, especially t ...

Hi Audiophilelp,
How did the audience clapping sound towards the end of the track? Mainly coming from the backstage? Did you have over half of it coming from both sides of the stage (audience up there at 3 levels of balcony)?
回復

使用道具 舉報

發表於 2015-1-8 10:17:42 | 顯示全部樓層
momei 發表於 2015-1-8 09:35
Hi Audiophilelp,
How did the audience clapping sound towards the end of the track? Mainly coming f ...

In my system, the audience appears in front of me at 180 degree wide but I cannot delineate if they come from different levels.
回復

使用道具 舉報

發表於 2015-1-8 10:22:04 | 顯示全部樓層
momei 發表於 2015-1-8 08:43
I just checked the DVD, so some corrections are in order.
The 5 Eagle members sat side by side on  ...

Yes, as there are a number of microphones dedicated to individual singers / instruments and recorded as multiple tracks, their relative positions / weights should have been rearranged when one puts all tracks into stereo. So as the sound from the audiences.
回復

使用道具 舉報

樓主| 發表於 2015-1-8 10:25:06 | 顯示全部樓層
You can e ...

I had the audio system checked through the 5 tests just now.
Only the lateral is alright. Left up and right up both failed as the sound went not even up to the top of the speakers some 6 ft tall. The "behind" check has the sound behind the speakers close to the wall, NOT behind me!
The "over" check did not have the sound going over the speakers to the ceiling.
Fortunately I have tracks with sound going up to the ceiling and over the speakers towards the listening seat. So I am not worried. Except I don't think I would ever be able to get the handclaps around the listening seat.
回復

使用道具 舉報

樓主| 發表於 2015-1-8 10:30:23 | 顯示全部樓層
Audiophilelp 發表於 2015-1-8 10:17
In my system, the audience appears in front of me at 180 degree wide but I cannot delineate if the ...

Having the audience positioned between you and the speakers is indeed very good already! If the claps and yells go up to the ceiling or second best beyond the speakers' top as indication of height, that's good enough as well.
回復

使用道具 舉報

發表於 2015-1-8 11:21:05 | 顯示全部樓層
This is one high quality thread with quality discussions going on!

My 2 Cents. Working with a few studios before to obtain different musics from different sources and stages. One of the thing I have found out about this format war is the mixing/recording media.

I.E if the music has been through a DDD process ( Digitally record, mix and master ) then it is wise to get the digital copy of the music, as the LP will only be a converted & mastered version of the 192k 24bit or even redbook of the music. PS So the music is likely to be mastered twice. On the other hand, if the music is 100% (AAA) , theoretically LP would have the advantages, as it takes away the variable of the ADC in the pressing company and also the digital mastering, which varies a lot on the quality.

In terms of the CAS and CDT comparison. Personally, I have only tried CAS with the present of computer as the control. Would be interesting and eager to try any file based player.

評分

查看全部評分

回復

使用道具 舉報

樓主| 發表於 2015-1-8 14:07:35 | 顯示全部樓層
三文魚腩 發表於 2015-1-8 11:21
This is one high quality thread with quality discussions going on!

My 2 Cents. Working with a few s ...

I agree fully with what you said about DDD, AAA etc. I certainly would not buy DDA LPs. Buying the native recording format is the smart way to go.
回復

使用道具 舉報

發表於 2015-1-8 14:20:27 | 顯示全部樓層
Hi Momei,

There is more information here that you may find interesting

http://thesounddesignprocess.wor ... re-stereo-3d-audio/
回復

使用道具 舉報

樓主| 發表於 2015-1-8 15:14:14 | 顯示全部樓層
ackcheng 發表於 2015-1-8 14:20
Hi Momei,

Hi ACK,
You are very resourceful. I have read and bookmarked the article. Need to read several times more in order to understand it.
回復

使用道具 舉報

發表於 2015-1-8 15:28:56 | 顯示全部樓層
ackcheng 發表於 2015-1-8 14:20
Hi Momei,

AudioTechnique has tested the BAACH filter. It was a computer DSP filter with a kinet sensor which detects the head of the listener in order to create the 3D feel. I have heard there is another user who have bought the unit.
回復

使用道具 舉報

樓主| 發表於 2015-1-8 15:40:57 | 顯示全部樓層
三文魚腩 發表於 2015-1-8 15:28
AudioTechnique has tested the BAACH filter. It was a computer DSP filter with a kinet sensor which ...

Is AudioTechnique the magazine in HK?
The DSP filter is interesting. But having it switched on for all tracks makes listening a bit artificial, though it would be fun to use it occasionally.
回復

使用道具 舉報

發表於 2015-1-8 16:10:38 | 顯示全部樓層
momei 發表於 2015-1-8 14:07
I agree fully with what you said about DDD, AAA etc. I certainly would not buy DDA LPs. Buying the ...

agreed!! I have compared recently:

For old record LP vs CD, LP win a lot with much higher density, musical, more transparent on high frequency (I use  Pink Floyd the Wall Sony version LP vs 24k Gold CD from Mobile Fidelity Sound Lab version)

For new record, the sound of LP become more "smooth" but a lot of detail lost at all....(I use Faye Wong LP vs CD to compare..)
回復

使用道具 舉報

樓主| 發表於 2015-1-8 16:16:00 | 顯示全部樓層
本帖最後由 momei 於 2015-1-8 16:17 編輯
vincenthoy28 發表於 2015-1-8 16:10
agreed!! I have compared recently:

For old record LP vs CD, LP win a lot with much higher density ...

Hi Vincent,
Do you have Pink Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon?
You may compare this one with CD. I also have the Wall LP in Japanese version but I do not consider the songs and sound exemplary.
回復

使用道具 舉報

發表於 2015-1-8 16:58:03 | 顯示全部樓層
momei 發表於 2015-1-8 14:07
I agree fully with what you said about DDD, AAA etc. I certainly would not buy DDA LPs. Buying the ...

Frankly I seldom buy reissued LPS, especially by Univxxxal.

However, some known digital recordings are quite good, a good example is Telarc
回復

使用道具 舉報

發表於 2015-1-8 17:31:47 | 顯示全部樓層
You can e ...

Thanks Arthur Hing for sharing!
Besides these tracks, a disc called "皇帝位" serves similar purposes
A good representative of LP is Demo disc from Telarc
image.jpg
image.jpg
回復

使用道具 舉報

發表於 2015-1-8 17:34:43 | 顯示全部樓層
momei 發表於 2015-1-8 16:16
Hi Vincent,
You may compare this one with CD. I al ...

I collected these recordings almost a decade ago. Anyway, I always listen a few tracks only!
image.jpg
回復

使用道具 舉報

發表於 2015-1-8 17:53:20 | 顯示全部樓層
momei 發表於 2015-1-8 16:16
Hi Vincent,
You may compare this one with CD. I al ...

Don't have dark side of the moon but I wish to get one!

Anyway, I still got some more record with both LP & CD (like Dire Strait, 劉美君 ...) but they are all at HK now that I need time to get it..
回復

使用道具 舉報

發表於 2015-1-8 17:54:09 | 顯示全部樓層
Audiophilelp 發表於 2015-1-8 17:34
I collected these recordings almost a decade ago. Anyway, I always listen a few tracks only!

So nice!!!!
回復

使用道具 舉報

您需要登錄後才可以回帖 登錄 | 新用戶註冊

本版積分規則

Archiver|小黑屋|聯絡我們|刊登廣告|Hiendy.com 影音俱樂部 一個屬於音響愛好者的家

GMT+8, 2024-3-29 16:41 , Processed in 0.052967 second(s), 19 queries .